Individual Retirement Accounts
Belco has a complete range of IRA account options to help meet your savings goals with the added benefit of tax advantages. We offer both IRA Savings Accounts and IRA Certificates. The IRA savings account offers a convenient way to start saving with as little as $5 to open the account. After your contributions accumulate to $500 or more, you might consider an IRA certificate to obtain a higher yield. There are three types of IRAs available to meet your needs.
- TRADITIONAL IRA features tax-deferred earnings, and is subject to a maximum annual contribution amount as set by the IRS. Members age 50 and over can make additional “catch-up” contributions. Withdraws during retirement years are taxable.
- ROTH IRA contributions are non-deductible, however you can withdraw tax free during your retirement years. Earnings can also be withdrawn without a penalty if certain conditions are met. Contributions are based on income earned, with a maximum amount as set by the IRS. Members age 50 and over can make additional “catch-up” contributions.
- COVERDELL EDUCATION SAVINGS ACCOUNTS are established for children under the age of 18 to help save for higher education expenses. The maximum contribution is set by the IRS and deposits can be made until April 15th of the following year.
The 2006 Heroes Earned Retirement Opportunities (HERO) Act allows military members serving in combat zones to contribute to a Traditional IRA or Roth IRA for military retirement savings, while also taking advantage of the tax-free status of their combat pay.
Belco IRA accounts feature:
- Dividends that are paid and compounded monthly
- Rates that are tiered and will therefore increase with higher account balances
- Tax advantages specific to the type of IRA opened (please consult your tax advisor for specific information)
Additional retirement options are also offered by Belco Retirement & Investment Services